Saturday, August 31, 2013

peanut butter, honey, and crackers > gold

  The content of this website/blog are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the United States government or the Peace Corps.

Each saturday, all 40 volunteers come together from their individual sights for more training.
When we do, I cant even tell you the pure joy on our faces when the PC brought out a tub of peanut butter and a bottle of honey, and crackers. It was just as good as any christmas morning in recent memory.
Talk about a wonderful moment in my life. Just look at that bar of gold in my hand
I remember needing to close my eyes because my body could only handle so many senses at one time when that sweet honey, which was more like gold, was all up in my mouth piece.
I must have had 10 crackers, striaght up a glutton with the amount of pb and honey on those bad boys. I remember pointing out to my friend Travis that he has food on his face and he's like "it doesnt matter... just leave it, man." I knew exactly what he meant.
Then I go to the bathroom and - ah! - another treasure! Soap! Running water! A flushing toilet each and every time I press the lever! The day was simply magical. There wasnt even a single fly to speak of!
Dont get me wrong, I LOVE my site, and and beginning to enjoy not needing any luxuries. I like not worrying about that stuff. But I can assure you I have never treasured as much as I did yesterday the taste of  that cracker with peanut butter and honey and as much delicious tea and coffee as my tummy could handle.

The way I prepared mine, in case you are interested, is that I spread the peanut butter evenly with the knife, then i carved this crevice in the pb in a straight line, then filled that with honey. Then with each delicious bite, I would scoot my tongue along the bite-line, as to move the peanut butter to cover the area that the honey would not be able to drip out of. I had that jawn DOWN. 

The PC is so good to us.

In fact, I even ration the Oreos they bring. They bring these little packs of 4, and I decided to save them for days during the week that I am sad. So far I ate 2, and that's not because I was sad yet, its just because its hard to save them.
Us in one of the PC buses


What do I miss most, food wise? Desert. We all went around and talked about what desert we would want most, and what we would be willing to pay for it. I mean, we eat very well, and three times a day, but there just isn't desert here. For each person who went around, the desert got more and more ridiculous and grand.
I just wanted a big sundae. And maybe with some cookies n cream ice cream. And definitely lots of chocolate sauce. And a little caramel, too. I don't like cherries much, but that would be a nice touch right now. I would look at it for a long time before eating it just so glare at its beauty.
And for the record, everyone in my group is posting about crackers and peanut butter, so if you think Im crazy, well, you may be correct, but at least I am not the only one.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tom, I don't know if I ever mentioned this to you, but my wife was actually in Peace Corps Nicaragua (Nica 34), and had her host family in El Rosario too! Her host parents were Reyna and Pedro (she says they live in a purple house by the park). Anyway, if any of your fellow PCVs are staying with them tell them to say that Renee says hi!
    Also, here's a pro-tip on the peanut butter/snack foods front: you can get that stuff in Managua at the "PriceMart", which is the Nica version of Costco. Check it out next time you're in town. Keep up the posts man, love it!

    ReplyDelete