Wednesday, September 4, 2013

My first baseball game in Nica

  The content of this website/blog are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the United States government or the Peace Corps.

Well, it was just as fun as expected. The coach had told me earlier in the week that I would get a few innings of playing time, so I continued to show up to practice and whatnot, and I guess he thought I was okay enough to put in.

Before I get to the game, I need tell you that all the kids in the school yell out my name, and ask me when I have practice next. And the kids who ask actually show up to watch. At first I thought they were asking me when the game is. But no, they want to know when I have practice next.

One kid I know for a fact travels 45 minutes by taxi to see me practice. Its really cute. And now random people I dont know yell out my name when passing in the streets (everyone is in the streets at all hours of the day in my village) and they make some sort of baseball gesture and smile. Its happened about 5 times since sunday.

I played 2.5 innings and was at first base. I think for not playing in the past, I played pretty decently. I could have done some things better, but then again I didnt screw up bad.

I batted once, and I really thought the pitcher was a joke, but I guess its a little different when youre facing him. The short story is I struck out looking on a full count. I think the call was bs but I dont know how to argue yet in spanish, so I decided against it.

I was surprisingly not that stressed about playing, or even batting. I knew I could have had a hit or two if I got another at bat in the game, but the other first baseman came in in the bottom of the 3rd to take over.

I was really worried about my leg muscle, because I had lightly pulled it a few days before... a terrible downer when Im getting ready with an awesome opportunity!

I was literally praying so much before the game that my leg would be fine. I was there for a reason, and thankfully, the leg held up. I was super careful warming up, and even while playing, looking back I cant believe I didnt reinjure it.

The coach gave me a sweet uniform (none of our uniforms match), and I think he bought me cleats too. I just wear my black phillies hat that was a gift to me from Caitlin years ago.

I also bought a cup because at one point he told me I was going to play catcher, and I knew a cup would not be provided. Thus, I needed to ensure that there would be future Tom Fords, so I thought 20 dollars was a sound investment. Its probably the most expensive things I will every buy here.

To give you a comparison, today in the market, I bought 6 disney movies for about 90 cents.

Unbelievably, none of my friends took a picture of me playing. The game was at 930 am and one or two of the girls at my site were sick and couldnt come, so anyway, I guess that gives us another thing to look forward to next week!

I am going to continue to pray that my leg stays in shape and is healthy enough to play.


3 comments:

  1. We talkin' about practice?! Not a game, not a game... practice!! That's awesome that the kids come from all over to watch. I got to play in a few neighborhood games out at Renee's site, and people took to calling me "Mr. Johnson," as in Randy Johnson, the most hideous pitcher ever to play the game. So, yeah, not sure it was a compliment (I didn't even pitch!). Anyway, keep that leg healthy and get some pics next game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whattttt, no pictures?? your friends really dropped the ball on this one bro

    ReplyDelete
  3. so freakin cuuuuute!! you're already a celebrity :D

    ReplyDelete