Wednesday, August 14, 2013


Im somehow exhausted already, not even 24 hours into my 27 months of Peace Corps service- oops.

We got done orientation at 7 pm yesterday in DC, went out to dinner, and a few beers and hot wings later, it was somehow midnight and I had to wake up in 2 hours to check out, get ready, and catch our 3am bus (who does that?) to the airport. 

My favorite section they covered during orientation was regarding food illness. It's inevitable. They said take it in good humor, and my favorite quote from our director was, I quote:

"Every fart is a gamble."

I like these people.

The day before I'd taken a train from DE to DC, where I met my new family of 40 volunteers, all heading to Nica,  who will be looking for a new adventure in life just as I am. Just being with the others throughout our sessions, and many of us realizing that none of our Spanish is good- at all- made me feel way better.

We got the chance to meet each other and everyone seems awesome. Great personalities, full of life, and ready to rock and roll. Since I am an environmental education volunteer though, I expected the PC to choose hippy-ish type people with half tattered clothes and dreads, and people who fit that weird environmental-type of look, but CAN you believe it- everyone was  "normal" !!

Maybe now is the time I should mention what the Peace Corps told us is mandatory to put in our blogs: my views on this blog are solely mine and do not reflect the beliefs or values of the Peace Corps in any way, shape, or form.

My group and I at the airport today right before boarding


so before I left, a bunch of my friends joked that I would come back a shaggy-haired, tree hugging hippy. That is yet to be determined, but I am willing to put my entire life savings (we're talking about... 24 dollars, at this point), on the fact that that will not happen. So we will see - in due time.

The reason I didn't post my blog before was because it still didn't feel real that I was leaving- I needed to get to the airport, take off, and land in my new home to realize that it's actually happening. And yes, it is. Somehow after the yearlong application process, I simply thought there was no way I would actually be leaving; something had to get in the way.  But nothing did- and here I am. In Nicaragua. Blessed.

me on the plane with 3 of our other volunteers!


Don't bother asking me how I feel- you can pick most any emotion and I'm there. Obviously excited and nervous top the list, but one thing I am not, is scared. I'm really looking forward to soaking it all in!

It was bittersweet seeing America get smaller and smaller as we took off; I love that country with all my heart. But I felt secure and confident about the new adventure, and have begun to make room in my heart for a new love, for a new home. After all - I'm not alone either. I've got my new family of 40 to learn and explore and struggle and sadden and joy with throughout the 2 years, and I look forward to that.

I'll be in the capital, Managua, for the next 3 days (with Internet!), then with a Nicaraguan family close-by (maybe... with Internet?) for 3 months while we take language classes (my Spanish isn't the best thing this world has ever seen, so I'll need it)

Right before I left to the PC I went on a trip to Disney world, and I have a new quote I enjoy by Walt Disney, that I will hold close to my heart: 

"I think everyone should have a good hard failure when they are young." 

That sounds like an odd thing for me to say before embarking on the most ballsy thing I've ever done- but it's true. I hope I fail, and succeed, and learn, and grow. I want it all

Lastly, I am a believer that God gave me two hands and two feet to go make an impact on the world. I'm taking life by the horns (is that even a phrase?? I don't prefer the bull reference) and making the most of it. I never want to look back and say I didn't do what I wanted to and what would have enrich my life the most. I can confidently say I am fulfilling those things, and making the most of life


2 comments:

  1. awesome, tom!! I'm so excited for you and your adventures and the lives you will impact in the next 2 years (also.. slightly jealous, but mostly proud)!! :)

    -Alexis

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're literally going to be a treehugger. Loved the update though, keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete